Grilled Boneless Short Ribs with Scallion-Sumac Gremolata
Updated: Jan 24, 2021
These short ribs deserve an invitation to your grill. Cooked over direct heat to just above medium-rare, they slice up to juicy, steak-like perfection. To amplify their meaty goodness, season the short ribs with a quick rub of fish sauce, grated garlic, and brown sugar. The finishing touch is a fresh gremolata of grilled scallions, parsley, garlic, orange zest, and sumac.
Recipe adapted from Food & Wine Magazine
1 1/2 Tbsp. fish sauce
4 (8-oz.) boneless beef short ribs (see Note)
4 garlic cloves, divided
2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
2 tsp. coconut oil, plus more for grill grates (use spray if you have it)
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tsp. grated orange zest
1 1/2 tsp. sumac
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. flakey sea salt
1. Brush fish sauce on all sides of short ribs. Grate 2 garlic cloves using a microplane; place in a small bowl. Add brown sugar to garlic and stir to combine. Rub garlic mixture on all sides of short ribs. Let stand at room temperature while preparing grill.
2. Open bottom vent of grill completely. Light charcoal chimney starter filled with briquettes. When briquettes are covered with gray ash, pour them evenly onto bottom grate of grill. Drizzle scallions with oil; toss to coat. Spray or coat top grill grate with oil. Cover and heat grill to medium-high (400 to 450). Place scallions on oiled grate. Grill, uncovered, turning often, until medium-charred, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board; let cool slightly.
3. Arrange short ribs on oiled grate. Grill, covered, flipping every 2 minutes, until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 125 to 130, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove short ribs from grill; let stand 5 minutes.
4. For Gremolata: Mince remaining 2 garlic cloves; place in a small bowl. Add parsley, orange zest, sumac, kosher salt, and pepper. Rub together with fingers to combine.
5. Thinly slice grilled scallions. Add to parsley mixture; toss gently to combine. Cut short ribs against the grain into thin slices and sprinkle with flakey sea salt. Serve with gremolata.
If boneless are not available, ask your butcher to slice English-cut short ribs off the bone into rectangular steaks.